"Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you." - Arnold Palmer

Friday 21 October 2011

Grantham King's School


It is more than one year now when I wanted to bring some new players to our Grantham Chess Club. And we have some talks how to attract the public to the game of  chess. Well I had a very courageous idea that time which was to contact some of local schools in Grantham and to offer them some chess coaching. 
Chris Cumbers, another member of Grantham Chess Club, friend of mine and former chemistry teacher at King's created a contact. And we went into connection with Phill Beckett, very nice man, a chess obsessed and dedicated math teacher at King's, who is responsible for the chess club at this school. And all together we organised a simultaneous display which, unfortunately, I had to play myself. No matter how many wins and how many loses I had achieved, but we started to work together. And believe me, I used to teach the medicine at the 1st School of Medicine in Charles University in Prague, however, to teach these youngsters chess is quite different kind of challenge. Nevertheless, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", and I am very happy that we have already made this first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment